Sunday, February 8, 2009

Not as planned

Eight weeks ago I decided that I needed a new challenge so I decided two train for a 50 mile trail run even though I had done any real trail running before. Well training went well and I was excited about the new challenge. I trained out at Wekiwa Springs on the weekends and was feeling really good about my training and nutrition. My goal going into the race was to learn as much as I could about ultra running to help me become a better ultra running coach. Well eight weeks to the day I found myself on the starting line of the Rocky Raccoon without my wing man Bill (out because of injury).



Race: 3 laps of 16+ miles.



Lap 1: I planned to check out the course so I would know what to expect for the next two. Goal was to keep the heart rate down and run about 2:15. So we were off and about ten runners were ahead of me. The course for me was technical compared to what I trained on. It had some hills but a nice course. Thirty minutes into the run I looked at my heart rate and it was much higher than I wanted it to but I was running like I did in training. The runners were friendly as we crossed paths (there were some out and back sections). As I was approaching the completion of my first lap I started thinking about how I would run the second lap and what goodies I needed from my special needs bag. Well as I recall I didn't need much because I didn't eat a whole lot on the first lap because I was feeling a little funny (headache and nausea) not a good sign.



Lap 2: I took off and thought it might be a tough lap mentally because it started to get hot and I got tired of carrying my hand held water bottle. All the aid stations were about 4 miles apart so I couldn't ditch my bottle. I tried to eat but I just couldn't take much in. I stopped at one of the aid stations and about got sick when I saw bologna sandwiches. I couldn't even force myself to eat M&M's which isn't a good sign either.. My body started cramping and I ended up walking the last 5 miles of lap two. Not a happy camper..



Lap 3: Never happened. I decided I didn't want to walk 16 miles and thought that it would be better to drop out than get injured.

What's next? Who knows? Any suggestion feel free to write in.

1 comment:

Kevin Konczak said...

This is a good learning experience for anyone reading this. As coaches, we often use ourselves as the testing ground to gain knowledge where there is insufficient information. Ultra running is one of those areas that depends so much on the individual's chemistry, and is specific to many other factors that short races aren't. One thing we can do as athletes is to prepare the best we can, while keeping in mind that ANYTHING can happen on race day in those long races--Coach KK, www.geminimultisport.com + http://www.kevinkonczak.blogspot.com/